November 4, 2020
Dear Black Tiger families:
First, I want to say “thank you” to our entire school community for your support of Issue 36. We recognize that these are uncertain times and are extremely grateful. We have many good things taking place in our community and our school district and are very excited to continue down the path of success.
Second, two weeks ago, parents were asked to complete a survey that provided us with valuable information as we plan our next steps towards an eventual return to in-person learning. Your response was, quite frankly, phenomenal with nearly 2,300 comments received.
Based on your responses, we learned:
- 76% want our K-5 students back in our schools full-time.
- 56% want our 6-12 students to attend in-person, all day, two-days per week beginning second semester.
We simply can’t ignore these numbers. And, we can’t ignore the fact that, while COVID-19 figures are increasing throughout Ohio and Summit County, Cuyahoga Falls Schools’ COVID numbers have remained fairly low – with no group quarantines to date. Other area school districts have experienced similar results. This has made us comfortable in moving away from Summit County’s color-coded system as a factor in our decision-making.
As a result, beginning Monday, November 16:
- Students in grades K-5 who selected Option 1 for the first semester will return to in-person full-day learning five days a week (Monday – Friday).
- Students in grades 6-12 will remain in our current hybrid format through the first semester.
- Students in grades K-12 of our Black Tiger Remote Learning Academy (BTRLA) will also maintain their current schedule through the first semester.
Additionally, we need to prepare for the future. While we understand that the second semester will not begin until January 4, we need to determine how many students will change options at that time, as this impacts our staffing, scheduling, transportation, food service, etc.
Therefore, we ask that all families complete and return the attached CFCSD Student Commitment for Second Semester 2021 forms by Wednesday, November 11.
- Please find our Elementary Student Commitment Form (K-5) link here.
- Please find our Secondary Student Commitment Form (6-12) link here.
We must remain diligent to keep everyone safe in school and the community. It will take all of us to continue to work together. As Black Tigers, I am confident that we will continue to commit to these standards.
THANK YOU for your continued support of our district. Be well, stay safe, and as always – Go Black Tigers!
Dr. T. M. Nichols
Cuyahoga Falls City Schools