Open vision bar

Superintendent Message | February 26, 2020

Last Updated: 2/27/2021 2:03 PM

February 26, 2021

Good evening Black Tiger Family this is Dr. Nichols.

Last Friday, I informed the faculty and staff that the second round of vaccinations will take place Friday, March 12 and that there will be no expectation of live instruction on that date.  I also directed them to put assignments in Google Classroom for our students to complete.

So far, approximately 80% of our certified staff have had their first round vaccination.  The remaining 20% will have the opportunity to receive their first round vaccination on the 12th.

Given that the Pfizer vaccine is proving to be 94% effective two weeks after receiving the first dose and 95% effective one week after the second dose, we have another layer of mitigation which makes us more comfortable with a return to in-person instruction five days per week when we return from spring break, Tuesday, April 6.

Why April 6? There are a few factors that contribute starting with Center for Disease Control guidelines that still suggest face masking and physical distancing.  The guidelines also suggest a full return to school and a relaxed physical distancing when in the bottom two of four levels of community spread.  

Where are we?  Currently, Summit County is experiencing a decline in positive cases, but is not in the two lower levels yet.  At the same time, positivity rates in Cuyahoga Falls City Schools remain steady amongst students and staff.  For the exact positivity rates in our school district, we invite you to visit our COVID-19 Dashboard located on our website  

However, as our staff becomes fully vaccinated, which the Ohio Department of Health defines as two weeks after the second dose, we feel confident that the positivity rate in Summit County and in our schools will be in the lowest two levels.  Two weeks after the second dose is March 26 which leads into spring break.  

As such, we are planning to return to in-person instruction five days per week at all grade levels, April 6.  As we have been during the second semester, we will consider transitions from Option 1 to Option 2 and vice versa on an individual basis. All changes will be based upon available space in the desired section. If you wish to make a change, please contact the Student Services Department.

Dr. T.M. Nichols


Cuyahoga Falls City Schools