July 3, 2020
Dear Black Tiger Family:
As the Cuyahoga Falls City School District (CFCSD) staff prepares for the 2020-2021 school year, I wanted to update you on the options we are considering for our reopening plan.
Over the past few months, a team including teachers, staff and administrators from all buildings and levels worked tirelessly to develop reopening recommendations and guidelines. They received guidance from the state Governor’s office, local and state health experts, and most notably your valued thoughts and opinions from your responses on our recent surveys.
We listened to you. Rest assured, our highest priority is to provide your children with the most robust educational experience possible, adhering to Ohio’s academic content standards-based method of teaching, learning and assessment. We will do this within an environment where safety for both our students and our staff is of highest priority.
As a result, we are considering the following actions:
- On June 30th, we recommended the Board of Education move our first day of school to Monday, August 24th. This will provide us with additional professional development days to educate and prepare our entire staff on our new plans, curriculum, environment and safety protocol.
- On August 24th, we plan to offer two learning options to students/families. Our first option involves students attending school in-person two days a week, with the rest of the week online. To support state social distancing guidelines, both in the classrooms and on our busses, we plan to divide each school’s student population in half. One group will attend school Monday-Tuesday, and receive virtual instruction the remainder of the week. The second group will attend school in-person Wednesday-Thursday, and participate in online learning on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Mandatory staff meetings will also take place on Friday. A thorough sanitizing of school busses and facilities will take place daily. Guidelines and procedures will be unveiled during the first week of August.
- For parents who prefer their child not return to school in-person at this time, we are creating a K-12 virtual academy platform as our second option. This platform, with curriculum similar to our first option, will align to all Ohio standards and be taught by a dedicated staff of instructors and administrators. It will be offered at no additional cost to our parents.
- A survey will be sent out in July, asking parents to select the option they’d prefer for their child.
- These two options allow us flexibility should the spread of COVID-19 increases. Our entire staff will be prepared to move towards 100% virtual instruction if necessary, which we will employ until the situation improves.
- Regarding extracurriculars and athletics, we will continue to monitor guidelines and requirements from both the state and local health departments during July. We will share more concrete plans within the next month.
This is our reopening plan - as of today. However, the situation may change, as the pandemic is unpredictable and flexibility is needed. The need to keep you informed, on a timely basis, is critical. Therefore, look for more communications from both myself and our team in the weeks ahead.
We have included a Google form to collect your questions on our webpage. We will respond to frequently asked questions on a regular basis.
Thank you for your continued support of the Cuyahoga Falls City School District. Enjoy your summer, and please stay safe. I look forward to seeing you in August.
Dr. Todd M. Nichols
Cuyahoga Falls City Schools